The Ogre Of Drama: Kyriakos Papaxronis

Born in Xanthi, Greece Kyriakos Papaxronis had his first sexual experience at 14 years old with a prostitute who belittled him and questioned his manhood. After Papaxronis graduated from high school he moved to Athens where over time he was declared to be a champion in boxing and karate. By the time Papaxronis turned 19 years old he was serving in the Greek army as a 2nd Lieutenant, in the Greek city of Drama.

On September 5th, 1981 Papaxronis attended a brothel where he picked out a 46-year-old prostitute. After she questioned his sexual competence the two got into an argument and Papaxronis left the brothel. A couple of hours later he returned to the brothel with a knife and stabbed the prostitute to death in anger.

On December 20th, 1981 Papaxronis stalked a prostitute that was walking along a street looking for customers when he snuck up on her and stabbed her in the back, after she screamed for help and witnesses started running towards them he fled the scene.

On December 30th, 1981 a 19-year-old student was leaving a theatre where she had just watched a pornography movie when Papaxronis attacked her and stabbed her in the cervix. Her father was nearby and saw the attack which led to Papaxronis fleeing the scene.

On January 15th, 1982 a nurse was walking to the train station when Papaxronis grabbed her, pulled her under a bridge and knocked her unconscious. He attempted to rape her but was unable to get sexually aroused so he fled the scene. She was the first victim who was able to give the police enough information so that they could produce a sketch.

On August 15th, 1982 a 20-year-old student was leaving the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki when she ran into Papaxronis who was an acquaintance. He followed her home and asked her if she’d like to have sex with him but she decline. Papaxronis grabbed her and dragged her into a nearby grove where he stabbed her in the cervix and then raped her. He then left her to die over the next two hours, her cause of death was internal hemorrhage and pulmonary asphyxia.

On September 21st, 1982 a 23-year-old woman was attacked by Papaxronis but she managed to escape. Then on October 1st, 1982 an 18-year-old woman was seriously injured outside of her home by Papaxronis but she survived. Then on October 25th, 1982 a 32-year-old prostitute was violently assaulted by Papaxronis but she survived.

On December 9th, 1982 Papaxronis stalked a 32-year-old cleaner for 4 days before stabbing her in the face and carotid artery before leaving her to bleed to death.

Papaxronis surviving victims described the perpetrator as a man in a military uniform which led the police to speak to the military so they could narrow down their list of suspects. Eventually, police brought Papaxronis in for questioning but he originally denied being involved in the attacks, however, once the police showed him all the evidence they had against him he ended up confessing to the attacks, rapes and murders.

But it didn’t end there, he also confessed to being a bomber. Papaxronis admitted to planting two bombs on March 12th, 1982, one at the National Bank of Greece’s Xanthi Branch and one at the Post Office in Xanthi. He also planted two bombs the next day in Kavala, at the Alpha Bank Branch. He also admitted that on June 16th, 1982 he planted a bomb at his military base in Drama. The last thing he admitted was to starting a fire at the Kavala International Airport.

Papaxronis’ trial took place between June 14th to 18th, 1983 he was found guilty and sentenced to death with 20 years imprisonment for the charges of manslaughter, attempted homicide and illegal possession and repeated use of weapons. During his second trial in 1984, where he was charged with seven attempted murders and eight attempted rapes. He was found guilty and sentenced to 27 years in prison. His sentences were eventually reduced to life imprisonment.

In 2004, after 22 years in prison, Kyriakos Papaxronis was released under tight conditions. Still to this day he lives in rural Greece with no more run-ins with law enforcement.

Rest In Peace Gr. Theocharidou, Anastasia Alexandridou and E. Papadopoulou.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: