Honour Student Murdered By Her Closest Friends

On July 5th, 2012 Skylar Neese who was 16 years old at the time had just finished her shift at Wendy’s, she arrived home and gave her parents a kiss goodnight and that would be the last time they would see her alive. When Neese’s parents woke up the next morning, she was missing.

Authorities started an investigation and they got a hold of some surveillance footage from an apartment complex near her home. After reviewing the surveillance footage they realised that Neese had climbed out of her bedroom window just after midnight on July 6th and then she got into a friends car. The friend who picked her up was interviewed but she told police that she dropped Neese off about an hour after she picked her up. There is no surveillance footage of Neese returning home.

Police started to believe that this was a runaway case but her parents strongly disagreed since her mobile phone charged, toothbrush, hairbrush and contact lenses were still at home. The FBI quickly got involved in the investigation of her disappearance and they started by interviewing her school friends.

The friend who had picked up Neese the night she disappeared was her close friend Sheila Eddy and when interviewed by the FBI she insisted that she had dropped Neese back home that night but she dropped her off down the street so they didn’t wake up Neese’s parents.

Then on January 3rd, 2013 another one of Neese’s closest friends Rachel Shoaf shocked everyone when she admitted to authorities that she and Sheila Eddy had planned and carried out the murder of Skylar Neese. Shoaf took police to the remote area in the woods where they had buried Neese’s body and on January 16th, 2013 the police identified the remains they had found in the woods as Skylar Neese.

It was alleged that Eddy convinced Neese to leave her home the night she was murdered and then Eddy, Shoaf and Neese drove around 48kms away from Neese’s home where Eddy and Shoaf agreed that at a specific time they would stab Neese to death. The girls reportedly murdered their close friend because they no longer liked her.

In 2013, Rachel Shoaf pled guilty to second-degree murder. Then in 2014, Sheila Eddy also pled guilty to first-degree murder. On January 27th, 2014 Sheila Eddy was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in 2029. On February 26th, 2014 Rachel Shoaf was sentenced to 30 years in prison with the possibility of parole in 2024.

Eddy never apologised or addressed the court during her sentencing but Shoaf did make a statement reportedly saying “the person that did that was not the real me. I became scared, caught up in something that I did not want to do”.

Rest In Peace Skylar Neese.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: